Ads 468x60px

Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

My review...

So we tried the Tamale Pie (see below for recipe) last night and really like it. Here are few items to note if you are thinking about making it yourself.


  • It says to use an 8x8 pan. I used a 9x13 and still filled it up to the top.
  • I added a package of taco seasoning mix in addition to the cumin for seasoning.
  • I didn't have pinto beans, so I used black beans instead.
  • I didn't have a corn bread mix, I just had plain corn meal. I followed the directions on the corn meal package for corn bread and that worked just fine (don't add the additional egg and milk that the recipe calls for).
  • I didn't do this, but next time I will - add a can of corn to the corn bread batter. Yummo!
  • Give it about 30 minutes to cool. It tastes better when it's not so hot, and it takes a little while to set up.
  • I made mine ahead of time and put it in the fridge until I was ready to bake it.
  • We topped ours with a dollop of sour cream.
  • You don't have to use ground turkey. Use ground beef if you want, chopped chicken, or shredded pork.
I served this with a side salad of lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro with a cilantro-lime vinaigrette.

0 comments: