Ads 468x60px

Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fish Tacos (non-battered)


For fish tacos, no matter who's recipe you are using, you can usually use any kind of white fish (this is my opinion anyway). A few options would halibut (probably the best, but most expensive), mahi mahi, or tilapia (the cheapest). I typically use tilapia because I can get it fairly cheap and I enjoy the flavor. My husband would prefer halibut, which would probably taste the best, but again, it is always over my budget.

Begin by marinating your fish of choice in your favorite Mexican-style marinade. Lawry's has some great options such as Tequila Lime or Mexican Chile & Lime. I use a marinade I found at Costco by The Ojai Cook called Carne Asada Marinade.

I prepare about 1 pound of fish person, and use enough marinade just to cover it in an airtight ziplock bag. Marinate for an hour or two.

Fry the fish in a well heated skillet w/ enough oil (your preference) to coat the pan. Cooking time will depend on the size of your fish, but you'll know it's done when it is no longer opaque and it flakes apart easily.

Place your cooked fish on a plate. Now warm your corn tortillas in other skillet, no oil necessary. Basically just place the tortillas on the skillet on high, each side for about 30 seconds.

Use 2 corn tortillas per taco. Layer your fish then finely shredded cabbage (I use the coleslaw bags), chopped cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and top with Chipotle Tartar Sauce (see below).

Chipotle Tartar Sauce:

Option 1) Buy a bottle of tartar sauce and add your favorite chipotle hot sauce (approximately2 tbsp. hot sauce per cup of tartar sauce).

Option 2) Make your own tartar sauce. In a blender or food processor, lightly puree 1 cup Mayonaise, 1/2 cup dill pickle relish, 2 tsp. dill, 2 tbsp. chipotle hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.

0 comments: